Take your DMV-Approved Course and Permit Exam From Home

Florida Drivers License - Road to License

Many teens are eager to drive as soon as they can, but the State of Florida sets out a very definite sequence of tests and qualifications which must be met before they can obtain a full privilege license.

Florida Driver's License - What You Need

Following are the steps you need to take to get licensed in Florida:

  1. Complete an approved Traffic Law and Substance Abuse Education Course.
  2. Apply for your learners permit. Be sure to bring the following with you to the DHSMV office (you will also need to pass a standard vision test):
    • Proof of completion of a TLSAE program.
    • Proof of identity. Acceptable documents include:
      • Certified United States birth certificate
      • Valid United States passport
      • Consular report of birth abroad
      • Certificate of naturalization (Form N-550 or Form N-570)
      • Certificate of citizenship (Form N560 or Form M-561)
    • Proof of Social Security Number. Acceptable documents include.
      • Social Security card
      • W-2 form (can’t be handwritten)
      • Pay check/stub
      • SSA-1099
      • Any 1099 (can’t be handwritten)
    • Proof of residential address.
      • A statement from a parent, step-parent, legal guardian or other person that the teen lives with regarding their residence and two proofs of residential address. Acceptable documents include:
        • Deed, mortgage, monthly mortgage statement, mortgage payment booklet or residential rental/lease agreement
        • Florida Voter Registration Card
        • Florida Vehicle Registration or Title
        • Florida Boat Registration or Title
        • Utility hook up or work order dated within 60 days of the application.
        • An Automobile Payment Booklet
        • Selective Service Card
        • Medical or health card with an address listed
        • Current homeowner’s insurance policy or bill
        • Current automobile insurance policy or bill
        • An educational institution transcript form from the current school year
        • Professional license that is issued by a government agency in the U.S. (can’t be expired)
        • W-2 or 1099 forms
        • Form DS2019 Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) status
        • Utility bills that are not more than two months old
        • Mail from Federal, State, County or City government agencies
      • Completed parental consent form.
  3. Pass a Written, Vision, and Hearing Test from DHSMV